Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Toddlers and Parking Lots

Toddlers and Parking lots

  What is it, with a fast running, short-legged tot that finds parking lots fascinating?  Just today we walked out of the gym and headed into the great valley of cars.  Cosette will not allow me to hold her hand to carefully navigate her to the car, nor will she let me carry her to safety either.  If I do the latter, which I prefer to do, there is a tremendous amount of kicking, which sends boots flying and Cosette escalates to screaming. 

What's worse is a host of people staring and wondering if I have done something to violate the child's rights. So what I am left to do is, herd her in the general direction of our car.  At that second, she steps off the curb and darts into the thick of moving cars! Cars leaving, cars coming and cars backing up. That instant, I'm running after her with lockjaw on the outside and on the inside, I'm cursing and murmuring to myself that if those cars don't kill her, I will!  But Cosette is laughing, squealing with her arms spread wide and having the time of her life. As if she is Maria from the "Sound of Music" running and singing in the hills, "The hills are alivvvveee with the sound of music, ahhhhhh!" 

After the treachery ended, a miracle happened. We reached reprieve of the car untouched, unharmed and safe. I let out a big sigh and thanked my guardian angels. I thought maybe I should get one of those sheepdogs that bites the heels of his herd to keep them in line.  But maybe that's going a bit too far? A leash then, maybe?


No comments: